Post Operative Instructions Tennis Elbow / Golfer’s Elbow Release
- Progress to your normal diet as tolerated
- Keep dressing dry.
- Loosen bandage if swelling of the lower arm and/or hand occurs.
- Remove surgical dressing on the third post-operative day (i.e. surgery Wednesday remove dressing on Friday). Apply a clean dressing over incisions and change daily.
- Be sure not to apply wrap too tightly when changing your dressing as this may cause increased discomfort and impede circulation.
- Keep surgical incisions clean and dry.
- You may shower 3 days after surgery if you seal the surgical site with plastic. Do not immerse the operative arm (i.e. swimming/ bath)
- Anesthetic is injected into the incision site and surrounding tissue during surgery – this will wear off within 12 hours.
- Narcotic pain medication will be prescribed for a short period of time – take as directed.
- Common side effects of the pain medication are nausea, drowsiness, and constipation. To decrease the side effects, take medication with food.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking the narcotic medication.
- Apply ice to dressing over elbow every 1-2 hours for 20 minutes each session. Do not apply directly to skin as thermal injury may occur.
- Elevate the operative arm to chest level whenever possible to decrease swelling
- When sleeping or resting try a reclining chair and a pillow under the forearm for support this may provide some relief.
- Do not engage in lifting or any repetitive wrist/elbow/shoulder movements until seen by your surgeon.
- You may perform some light exercises starting the day after surgery these include opening and closing the hand and fingers, straightening and bending the elbow, and shoulder range of motion exercises.
- Try to avoid rotating your forearm and wrist extension/flexion.
- No Driving until instructed by your surgeon.
- Your sling should be worn until your staples are removed. You may remove the sling when exercising and bathing.
Please call the office with any questions or concerns: 781-278-9711.