Post-Operative Instructions for Fulkerson Osteotomy
- You will have a knew immobilizer on top of your dressing postoperatively.
- You will be in a knee immobilizer for 6 weeks.
- You will be using crutches and must be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks
- There will also be an ice therapy wrap over your dressing. Use this as instructed.
- At your first follow-up exam, you will be instructed when to start outpatient physical therapy, along with instructions concerning your crutches, brace, and ice therapy.
- A bulky post-op dressing will be applied at the time of surgery. You may
remove this dressing 3 days postoperatively and replace it with new, clean, waterproof household band-aids. You can find the waterproof band-aids at any pharmacy. Your staples/sutures must remain clean and dry until you are seen in the office for your first post-op visit. The staples/sutures will be removed at your first post-op visit.
A prescription for pain relief will be given to you when you leave the hospital.
Please call the office the next day to schedule your first follow-up exam, if you do not already have an appointment scheduled. You should be seen approximately 14 days after surgery to have your sutures/staples removed.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the office.